At the out brake of WW2, No 2 squadron with its Arvo Anions conducted Coastal patrols and convoy escorts to the Middle East then in 1941 deployed to the Dutch East Indies to perform reconnaissance and bombing operations against the advancing Japanese forces. Despite heavy losses to enemy fighters and attacks on there own bases successfully continued there operations until the end of the war for which No 2 squadron was awarded a United States presidential unit citation.
1967 No 2 squadron commenced operations in
Vietnam. Quickly establishing itself as the most
effective bomber squadron in Vietnam. After
flying all most
Operational conversion unit trains graduates from No 76 Squadron in the art of flying the Hornet. Once a pilot graduates from this unit they will have all the skills required to fly the Hornet and will move on to one of the three main Hornet Squadrons (No 3 and 77 squadrons based at Williamtown or 75 squadron based at Tindall, Northern Territory) where they will continue to learn the skills required of them to be first class fighter pilots.
is primarily a training unit its capability makes
it comparable with any operational fighter
unit. As such 2OCU is frequently tasked with
operational evaluations and participates in joint
and single Service exercise and RAAF displays.
No 3 Squadron is one of the two main air to air squadrons of the RAAF the other being 75 Squadron based at Tindal. These two squadrons are Australia's front line of defence and both hone there skills on a daily basis to use the Hornet in a roll it excels at, air combat.
In WW2 No 3 squadron again saw action in Egypt and in the invasion of Sicily became the first allied squadron to be based on an enemy homeland. By the end of the war No 3 squadron was the highest scoring Commonwealth fighter squadron with a total of 217.5 victories in air combat.
After WW2 ended No 3 squadron spent an almost continuous 30 years stationed at Butterworth in Malaysia operating Sabers then Mirage III aircraft. In 1986 the squadron moved to Williamtown and became the first operational squadron with the Hornets.
From February 2002 as port of Australia's comitment to the fight against terrorism 3 squadron started a three month deploment to the US air base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean returning home 21-5-2002.
No 77 Squadron is a true multi-role squadron whose main role is ground attack work. Here the pilots are trained to use the Hornet in its ground attack role. A role which the hornet is quiet capable of doing but does lack the payload and range of a dedicated mud mover like the RAAF's F-111's from Amberley. The squadrons secondary role is air defence a role that the Hornet is much happier doing.
In July 1951 No 77 squadron saw there role change to ground attack with the arrival of the Meteor jet. In November 1954 the squadron was relocated to Williamtown for three years in which period they received the Avon-Saber. The squadron then moved to Butterworth in Malaysia untill 1969 when they where relocated back to Williamtown.
In mid 1970 the squadron was re-equipped with the Dassault Mirage III which they operated until being replaced by the F/A-18 in the late 1980's.
No 76 squadron is one of Australia's most famous fighting squadrons having distinguished itself during WW2 as a premier fighter squadron.
Reformed at Williamtown on the 1st January 1989, No 76 squadrons operational role changed to introductory fighter training useing the Aermacchi MB.326H.
In late 2000 No 76 squadron started to receive BAe systems Hawk 127's to replace the Macchi's, a move which is shore to improve the quality of pilots graduating from this squadron to the Hornets or F-111 squadrons.
After the war No 76 squadron was re-equipped with Mustangs and deployed to Japan as part of the British Commonwealth occupation force. Returning to Australia in 1948 the squadron converted to Vampire jets before deploying to Malta in 1952 to join NATO forces in the Mediterranean area.
From 1960 No 76 squadron was based at Williamtown and in 1966 converted to the supersonic Mirage III. In 1989 the squadron lost its fighter role when its Mirages where replaced by the Aermacchi. In late 2000 76 Squadron started to receive the new Hawk 127 or LIF ( lead in fighter ) as it is commonly called. The final Hawk was delivered in October 2001 starting a new era in RAAF fighter training.
All information on this page was collected from various sources of the RAAF. Full Squadron histories can be found on the Official RAAF Home page.